Monday, March 4, 2013

The Things We Think But Do Not Say



Recognize that title? It's from Jerry Maguire, my favorite movie of all time. And a fitting reference for today, I believe, since it's the title of Jerry's memo. His co-workers are touched by his honesty, they applaud and congratulate his efforts, then he's fired because no one likes to discuss or admit an ugly truth.

Yesterday, to no fanfare and to my shock, I received an email informing me that my book is now for sale on Amazon. I had to walk away from the computer for a while to compose myself. That’s how I deal with everything. I walk away from it until I can figure out how to handle it. There is probably something wrong with me. I should be over-the-moon, cracking-open-champagne excited. Instead, I’m terrified.

I’m not used to being scared. Through school, my career, and even as a mom, I’ve always felt confident. Especially when it comes to my career, I’ve actually never considered myself anything but competent. However, this book puts a whole new spin on things.

When people label me as a writer, it makes me uncomfortable. I’m not illiterate, but I have no delusions of grandeur when it comes to literature. My book was a silly project. It gave me something to do, to think about, to talk about other than my kids and husband. I never truly thought I’d finish it, much less find someone willing to publish it. Each step of the way was a small challenge, and Lord knows, I can’t resist a challenge.

This is the first time in my life I’ve done anything I don’t already know I’m good at. And I’m doing it in front of everyone I know. They’ll see a side of me that they never knew existed. Everyone thinks things they don’t say, but to put those thoughts into words – to explore your mind and place it on a table for public consumption – is much more frightening in actuality than it was in theory.

My husband asked me what will happen when our kids are older and want to read it and I told him that it doesn’t bother me. I want to teach them to both achieve and fail with equal grace. I want them to feel free to be themselves with the knowledge that I’ll love them regardless, and part of that will be admitting that I’m just as weird as they are. Or possibly a little more so.

So I hope you want to read it, but as I tell everyone, it isn’t a condition of friendship. If my book becomes the world’s most time-consuming paperweight, I’ll still be proud that I wrote it.

4 comments:

  1. I would be terrified too. You're putting yourself out there to the public with a product that is very personal to you, rather than something produced for a company or something like that. It's totally okay to feel that way. It's also very exciting, and I'm sure that will kick in too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Stella. I understand your fear of letting other inside your head. It can be paralyzing, but you didn't let that happen. You struggled and won.

    Congratulations on publication. Many, myself included, have been anxious to see more of your writing. I can't wait to get started.

    Good luck with this one. I hope it wont be your last.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks :) Now that it's had a few days to sink in, I can breathe without hyperventilating. I'll take it as a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you should be. Writing a book is no small feat.

    Interesting that you are such a confident person, until now. It looks like you've met your match. However, you're already rising to the occasion with grace and poise. I have no doubt you will flourish and chart a course for others to follow.

    I am almost finished with the current book I'm reading. Then I have one other that I promised a friend I'd read. Then I'm reading yours.

    Now I'm going to find that trailer we've been discussing. :)

    ReplyDelete